BARCELONA, SPAIN 1988
A dialogue between contraries, between idea and craft, sanity and decadency. The work by Spanish artist Marria Pratts moves us just at first glimpse and can surely not be classified.
Using a colorful and bold color palette, the artist narrates the beauty in the contrast of emotions, thoughts and mixed feelings on her large canvases and sculptures.
For some, her oeuvre might seem a bit political, satirical of our society and its roblems, however, to Pratts there is an inherent beauty in these problems.
Her work faces us with a reality sometimes too hard to watch, but that depicted through smiley faces and colorful neon ghosts, calms us and makes us meditate.
There is nothing wrong with a deformed figure,with a sad face, with ghosts, they are all part of our reality and coexist within us, and whitin Maria’s work.
Strongly influenced by her surroundings and by where she paints, Pratts works in the abstraction field with lines of gesturalism and a strong taste for neon color and neon art.
She considers herself an outsider, deeply aligned with the Art Brut values, no wonder she studied in the Masana School, a well known art school in Barcelona famous for its crafts.
Marria makes art with what surrounds her, making every little quotidian object a key piece to her oeuvre. From her sculptures to her paper works, Marria Pratts invites us to be participants in a loud dialogue between happiness and sadness, and how they are both an essential part of us
- (Upcoming) Miro fundation, Barcelona, Julio, (2022)
- (Upcoming) Panorama 21, MACBA (2021)
- ‘Lil Ghost Say Hello’ every day gallery antwerp, (2021)
- “8FANTASMESXPAISATGE”, Alzueta Gallery, Barcelona (2021)
- Solo Exhibition, Sade Gallery, Los Ángeles (2018)
- “Waassap magik“, Galería O, Madrid (2018)
- “Your Style Is So So”, Garros Roland Gallery, Essen, Alemania (2016)
- “El Refugi” (The Refuge), MACBA, Barcelona (2016)
- “Nou Somni” (New Dream), Galeria La Puntual, Sant Cugat del Vallès, Barcelona (2016)
- “Time is Sick” (Residence), Sade Gallery, Los Angeles (2015-2016)
- “Sad City”, Galeria L&B contemporary art, Barcelona (2015)
- “Selfie Corner”, Matadero, Contemporary Creation Centre, Madrid (2015)
- “Linia Deliri”, Ús Barcelona y Otromba, Budapest Gallery (2015)
- “Apunts per a un incendi dels ulls” (Studies for setting the eyes on fire), MACBA, Barcelona, 2021
- “X (feat. My Friends)”, LOOP FESTIVAL BARCELONA 2018, L&B Gallery (2018)
- “Punk. Sus rastros en el arte contemporáneo”
- (Punk. Their traces in Contemporary Art), MACBA
- “CA2M” (Madrid) and Artium Museum (Vitoria) (2016)
- “Got It For Cheap”, David Risley Gallery, Copenhagen (2015)
- Collective exhibition, Steinsland Berliner Gallery (
- Estocolmo) and Agnes B (Paris) (2015)
- “Seriot”, Andén, Barcelona (2015)
- A Tutiplén”, Watdafac, Madrid (2015)
- “La Balada de Wendy Entre d’Autres”, ADN Gallery, Barcelona (2015)
- “Days in the Basement”, Roser 99, Barcelona